Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fast Food Review: Popeyes



Just as I will always refer to Costco as "Price Club," Old Pasadena as "Old Town," and Brock Landers as "Dirk Diggler," this restaurant will always be Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits to me. I don't care that they are now calling themselves "Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen." It's not like they're suddenly doing crawfish boils in the parking lot and selling bottles of Turbodog. It's still the same stuff. And in no way is that depressing.
-
My friend and I were driving past the Alhambra location when we spotted a sign for Super Popcorn Chicken, and we had to find out what it was. There was nobody else eating in the place, just a semi-deranged man who kept coming in and out with different pieces of newspaper. The guy working there was obviously the owner, and a very nice guy, but with a strange desire to talk to us the entire time we were eating.
-
But Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits isn't exactly The French Laundry, so I didn't care. Besides, the popcorn chicken rocked. They were huge pieces of white meat chicken that put Kentucky Fried Chicken's (sorry, never gonna start calling it KFC) popcorn chicken to shame. We also got an order of the butterfly shrimp, which were decent although overcooked.
-
I don't know how many other Popeyes are offering the Super Popcorn Chicken, but if you see one, go for it.

No comments: