Monday, October 29, 2012

Football Eats 10: Crawfish Po' Boys


Each of the last three years, I have written about the Popeyes Crawfish Festival. They are some of the most popular posts I have written; I have told people that Popeyes crawfish are one of my top five favorite fast food items I have ever had.

But my days with Popeyes are done. I've been over it before, no need to rehash it here. When I saw the sign in the window, however, I had a strong craving. So I decided to make them myself.



I went to Fish Tales and picked up a container of crawfish tails.


Zatarain's shrimp batter served me well last time I made fried shrimp myself, so I used it again: a dunk in the liquid batter then a roll through the mixture.


The crawfish tails are already cooked, so they don't take more than a couple of minutes in the hot oil to brown the batter.


I still had some soft Martin's hoagie rolls left over from sandwiches I made the other night. These work perfectly.


I made the same remoulade that I did when I made fried shrimp two weeks ago: mayo, creole mustard, pickles, hot sauce, horseradish and chili powder. I slathered it on the roll.

Cool, chopped lettuce went on top of the remoulade.

And then the crawfish went on top.


I got a large pickle at a deli across the street and diced it around the edges (to reduce the amount of seeds) and soaked it in vinegar for a few hours for some extra sourness.

I added a healthy amount of the pickle pieces.

And then, for some slight heat and delicious pepper flavor, several shakes of my beloved Trappey's hot sauce.

I don't know if I can call these the best crawfish po' boys I've ever had. Actually, I know I can't. I love those slightly-crusty-on-the-outside rolls that you get with the best po' boys in the South. (This roll was good, but completely soft.) But damn these were still great sandwiches. The crawfish were great and the pickles, lettuce and sauce were tasty, cool foils to the hot, crispy crustaceans.

I wanted to try it with some additional heat, so I added pickled jalapeno slices to my second half of the sandwich. They made it even better. I wish I'd eaten the whole sandwich with these. Oh well. Next time.

9 comments:

sfmitch said...

I like adding Crystal hot sauce to my po-boys. It adds heat and a vinegary tang.

I do love me some fried seafood po-boys (oysters, shrimp, catfish, crawfish).

Jessica said...

Yummy looking mudbugs!

Jose Conseco said...

Go Giants! West coast is the best coast and norcal is the best cal.

JustinM said...

I don't have very much respect for people who show up to brag about teams AFTER the games are over. But that's very norcal of you.

Mark McGwire Dodgers Fan said...

Lol...Jose Conseco?

1. It's spelled Canseco
2. He played most of his career in Oakland, but whatever. I guess you're an A's fan too.
3. Norcal is the best cal doesn't even rhyme.

JustinM said...

Funny enough, check out the first post of the month on Atlantic Antic: he (or she) also said "Go Athletics." (Once again, it was AFTER the As had clinched the postseason.)

I'm an Angels fan, so by definition I do not like anyone else in the division... but at least Mariners and Rangers fans are there all season. Not like Oakland having a few thousand fans at games and then magically filling the stands once they make the postseason.

Banana Wonder said...

Looks great!! You've inspired me to make a po-boy, hope you guys aren't getting to hammered by this slurricane.

Jose Conseco said...

Whoa, geez my bad. My old "go athletics" comment was just poking fun cause I know Justin is an Angles Fan.

Despite the name, I'm an SF native and have been a giants fan for life, through thick and thin, and I resent the implication that I'm a fair weather fan. But how would you know that? so no biggie, and it's true I've seen more transplant bandwagon fans the last three years than ever before, so I sympathize. Also, giants fans have always been there (even before 2010), I'm pretty sure the have the record for most consecutive sellouts. I'm glad to hear rangers and mariners have good fans too. empty stadiums are a bummer, ever watched a marlins game?

Most giants fans are backup A's supporters, especially since they're in different leagues, though I can appreciate the sentiment about fans only showing up when they're hot.

Just wanted to share my excitement with a fellow baseball fan, share some westcoast love w/ an ex-pat, and generate some lighthearted rivalries. Touche on my misspelling Canseco, I guess I've got to take ownership of it now.

JustinM said...

A well-written response. I apologize for my part in the piling on. The fact that the comment was not made until the World Series was over is what caused my assumption that you were bandwagon.

I agree Giants fans are 100x more hardcore than As fans. I used to go to a lot of the Dodgers games in the 90s when I was teenager and didn't have the time or money to go down to Anaheim, and Giants fans always represented well, if obnoxiously. (Not that I absolve Dodgers fans of being obnoxious.)