Monday, April 19, 2010

Ribeye Steak & Spinach

As much as I make fun of Elizabeth, from the TV shows she loves (like Glee; a bunch of whiny people whom I would love to punch) or her favorite baseball team (the Yankees; ditto) the truth is that she works extremely hard and every day I think how lucky I am to have her. So every once in while, instead of watching the Lakers with friends or going out with one of my mistresses, I decide to make a nice dinner for her. She loves steak, so the other night when she got home from work I surprised her with one. 

Ribeye isn't the most expensive cut of steak - that's usually the filet mignon, from the tenderloin - but it is still outstanding, especially when you get a cut beautifully marbled with fat. I let this one sit out for a little over an hour, to warm up a bit, while the grill was heating. I rubbed butter on both sides of the steak, ground some pepper on it, and slapped it on the grill. The hiss of meat when it first hits heat may be a bit of a silly thrill, but it never fails to make me happy.

The steak cooked in just a few minutes on each side. While it was on the grill I sauteed some spinach with finely chopped garlic and a little salt and pepper. It's incredibly simple and delicious.

I let the steak rest for a bit then sliced into it. I used my favorite knife, a 10" Global my friend Tracie gave me for Christmas a few years ago, but I could have cut this with a fork. I took a couple bites - I mean, I had to make sure it was good enough to serve, right? - and the pieces melted on my tongue.

Elizabeth loved the steak. There was an episode of Huell Howser interviewing old people who sleep outdoors all year. I was hoping I had earned enough goodwill to be able to watch it on the big TV. 

I had not.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing more touching than this story is the photo of the steak. That is one marvelous-looking piece of meat. Where did you get it?

JustinM said...

Taylor's butcher shop in Sierra Madre. I have been going there literally my whole life. When I was young I used to go by there several times a week with my mom on the way home (she taught at the school I attended) and she would buy meat for dinner. I couldn't wait to grow up so I wouldn't have to buy boring food at a butcher shop for dinner. I was a moron.

Anonymous said...

I should have guessed! I would have said either Taylor's or Gelson's. We buy from both. Wow, that looks awesome. Jealous!

SuperLarge said...

I really hate it when you ditch your mistresses for that... woman. *flounce*

JustinM said...

There is always room in the Escalade for you, TBelle! Meet me across from the Perkins, as usual.

Melissa Good Taste said...

That steak looks like it went down like butter - nice work my friend!

o0angie0o said...

How did you get the meat to come out so perfect? We've tried to make medium rare steaks before but it always cooks a bit to much...we do the broiler for about 3 mins on each side then take it out and let it rest but still more on the medium to medium well side than medium rare....grrrrr

JustinM said...

Well, keep in mind you can always make a piece of meat more well done, but you can never make it rarer. When it's a nice cut of meat like this, I take it off the heat well before I think it's going to be done, then let it rest for several minutes. It will continue cooking on the inside. If it's still too rare (which almost never happens) I cook it for a couple minutes more, either in the oven or covered on the indoor grill.