Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quesadillas

I had a long day yesterday and wanted something very simple for dinner; it does not come much simpler than quesadillas. For years I have been making a spicy corn relish, one of the first things I ever started making, in fact, and it goes perfectly with quesadillas. I had a few ears of sweet corn from Tapia Bros. in Encino - the best sweet corn I have ever had, I think - so I grilled them for a few minutes.

I cut the kernels into a bowl and mixed them with chopped jalapeno, cilantro, and Persian lime olive oil. It was much spicier than I've made it in the past; I think I used more jalapeno than I needed to. Still, spicy is never bad, so I kept the quesadillas very simple, just mozzarella and a little green onion. I cooked them on the indoor grill for a few minutes on each side - so that I could keep an eye on the Angels game; I wanted to see how their bullpen could blow another one - then cut them and spooned a couple heapings of the corn into middle of the plate. I drizzled some Salt Lick mustard sauce on the wedges as well.

The quesadillas were good, although basically the tortillas with cheese were just a vehicle to eat the spicy corn relish. I cannot count the number of times I have made this meal over the last decade, and it has always hit the spot.

5 comments:

Mikey said...

I think you should open a restaurant just to serve quesadillas.

JustinM said...

As I've written before, I just don't have the desire necessary to make a restaurant work. However... if I were to do that, that is exactly the kind of place I would want to do: something simple we have all eaten hundreds of times in our lives, but with a twist. This is what I love about The Slaw Dogs business model: it's something so familiar, yet at the same time completely new.

A place with bizarre quesadillas, nachos with pulled pork and vinegar sauce, Belgian fries with a half a dozen exotic dips... that's the kind of menu that would excite me.

(I went to a restaurant in Portland a couple years ago that served me a giant bottle of PBR on ice in a coffee can. That would be a nice starting point for the beverage menu, too.)

Cafe Pasadena said...

I can see you're gonna take the celebration of the 5th of May in its true spirit.

JustinM said...

Well, that was last night. Tonight I'm going to Vroman's and who knows what's for dinner after that. Maybe In-N-Out; I still have some coupons left...

newrunner said...

Yum! I like your corn relish recipe, I'll have to try that.