Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Return of Fatburger

It's been a fun week on the blog. Langer's linked to my post about their pastrami sandwich on their homepage. A reporter from the Wall Street Journal contacted me and wanted to ask some questions. (It turned out he just wanted to talk about McDonald's McRib - something I hated.) But nothing compares to the excitement of today when, while cruising down Lake Ave, I spotted a "Fatburger Coming Soon" sign.

It's on the west side of Lake, almost immediately across from The Slaw Dogs. When I was in high school it was a Taco Bell at which my friends and I used to grab cheap grub on our way to Dodger Stadium. In recent years it was a place called "Pearl's Kitchen," a fast food Hawaiian takeout spot that did not look good. I've never met anyone who has eaten there; I've never met anyone who has even heard of it.

But now it will be a Fatburger. This pleases me.

11 comments:

TJM said...

It's owned by a member of ATS so I'l take you to the friends and family day next Friday if you want to go.

JustinM said...

Why yes, yes I do.

ben wideman said...

Waa!?? That is great news! I love Fatburger. That hawaiian place - was it the one that also served Chinese food? I went there once or twice - it was weird.

This seems like a strange place for a chain like Fatburger, but maybe that stretch of Lake Ave is changing.

ben wideman said...

Oh, and congrats on the media attention - you deserve it.

JustinM said...

Well, thanks, but I'm not sure I deserve anything more than a Master Cleanse.

At any rate, I would rather have a Pasadena Fatburger than a Pulitzer. We had one on Arroyo about a decade ago. I never understood why Pasadena could support three Del Tacos (which I admit I like) but not one Fatburger. It would be like if they didn't have one actual Irish pub in Pasadena.

Okay, bad example.

Banana Wonder said...

That's awesome about the linkage! I've never actually had FatBurger sober...

Fritos and Foie Gras said...

congrats about being linked! woohoo! and about the fatburger!

Rachel said...

On the press exposure, let me know if you need a rep...you are friends with a PR gal so I got your back, buddy. ;)

On Fatburger -- I'll be interested to try. Fun fact: I've never had Fatburger. 'Nother fun fact: I've also never had Tommy's.

I suppose this means I'm lame. Wait. The fun facts have betrayed me...

JustinM said...

There are Fatburgers that are great, but there are also ones where you eat and say "Wait a second, what's so special about that?" I'm hoping this new location is the former.

As for Tommy's, the original is fantastic. The Pasadena location isn't bad, but it's my least favorite of the four I have been to.

o0angie0o said...

Congrats on the write up! I was set on going there on my way to LAX but someone drove their SUV into the guardrail on the 405 and it caught on fire causing about an hour delay while they hosed everything down and cleared up the mess.

I've been to the Fatburger in Vegas before but I don't think I was ever really sober to remember if it was that great or not.

I think there is a Tommy's Original #235 or something by me in Palmdale and I went there not realizing that they serve chili on all of their burgers...not sure if I would go there again but I can say I've had it I guess.

JustinM said...

All these references to non-sober Fatburger are funny. The first time I had Fatburger I was not sober, it was after a Halloween party at midnight or so. The food was so good that the next morning on the way home I went to Fatburger again.

You can get a burger at Tommy's without chili - they just look at you funny when you order it.