Monday, December 13, 2010

Shrimp (or Prawns) for Emily

Last month, when I asked for ideas as to what I should do for my 500th post, a reader in the UK named Emily suggested I cook a big dinner. When I decided to go out for tacos instead, I promised I would make a dinner and dedicate it to her, and I asked what she would like to see. She said shrimp (or what people on that side of the Atlantic call "prawns.")

I had meant to do this sooner, but something always came up. Last night, while watching TV and putting the final decorations on our tree (at least I hope it's the final decorations... we have a lot) I decided it would be the perfect night for shrimp.

I have written about Trader Joe's tempura shrimp before: they come ten to a box, cook up in the oven in less than twenty minutes, and are just as good as the tempura shrimp you are served at lots of Japanese restaurants. Sometimes I eat these with rice and nothing else and it's a great meal, but on this occasion it only formed one-third of my dinner. 

I had some shrimp in the freezer. After defrosting them, I sauteed two thinly-sliced cloves of garlic in a pan with butter for a few minutes over low heat. I added the shrimp, turned up the heat, and cooked them for a couple minutes, adding paprika, salt, pepper and dried basil. They were wonderful: buttery, slightly spiced, and melt-on-the-tongue good.   

Although I've never been a big fan of the seafood at Taylor's Prime Meats (no big deal - it's one of the best butcher shops around, not a seafood shop) they have frozen bay shrimp that are outstanding. I defrosted them with just a few minutes of running warm water and patted them dry. In a bowl I mixed chil sauce, a few squirts of lemon juice, and a healthy amount of "Atomic" horseradish. (I like my cocktail sauce sinus-clearingly spicy) before dumping in the shrimp. This was my favorite of the three kinds of shrimp.

Overall, this was an excellent meal. Good call, Emily. I think I need to start taking recommendations from people more often.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Yay! Thank you :) The garlic prawns looked especially good. It was certainly worth waiting for! And it was also a refreshing break from my mountains of revision.

Frank said...

Emily, will you leave the nice man alone now?

Irina Netchaev said...

I think you inspired me to grab the frozen bag of TJ shrimp I have in my freezer and follow your directions. That will have to wait for Wednesday since tomorrow I will be making pork loin. :)

Emily said...

And in turn, that reminded me I have a pork loin in the freezer! How handy :)

Emily said...

I just came across this again, what fun it was.

JustinM said...

Would you like another shr- er, prawns post? With different kinds of prawns? And pictures with my new camera? Anything for my English rose.

Emily said...

Hey, I never saw that you replied to this! How rude you must have thought me.

Of course I would like another post, my ego always loves a massage....

Anonymous said...

I like the Trader Joes frozen tempura (baked), 10 to a box. Mix the dipping sauce with as much wasabe as you want. Eat the tempura alone, or with Japanese short grain rice and a sweetish cole slaw-type salad. Unless you have great, inexpensive Japanese restaurants in your area (I dont), its as good as restaurant food, and and a bit cheaper at $7.99 USD.