Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fast Food Review: Burger King Chicken Tenders

Hearing that Burger King was redoing their chicken tenders into something resembling nuggets was like hearing that Luke Walton was being traded or Glee was moving to a new night: I could not possibly care any less. Burger King is my least favorite fast food chain by a country mile, and their chicken is one of my least favorite things on their menu. Their chicken fries are one of the worst things I have ever eaten.

Interestingly, the new product is still called "tenders," even though they look just like nuggets. But Burger King is advertising them as having a new seasoning, along with the slogan "Crispy. Tender. New." So I figured I would give them a try. I ordered eight pieces for $1.99.

Unfortunately, they taste just like rounder versions of the chicken fries. They were not hot, they were not crispy, and they were not tender. The breading was bland and room temperature and the chicken was only slightly juicier than beef jerky. The word that kept coming to mind as I ate them was "pathetic." They are pathetic, shriveled little versions of the chicken nuggets that you find at many fast food joints.

The "zesty" sauce that accompanied the chicken was very tasty, similar to the Popeyes Deltas Sauce I love. But it still wasn't enough to make the chicken edible.

The Carl's Jr. turkey burger I had the other day was the worst thing I have eaten so far in 2011. These new Burger King chicken tenders are the second-worst.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i had these last week too. they were horrific,

Fritos and Foie Gras said...

Boooo! Good chicken tenders are so good and bad ones are SO bad!!!

JustinM said...

Anon: I believe you. I'm not sure how someone tested this product at BK and said "Yes, this will do."

Fritos: So true. Lately my favorite chicken tenders have been the ones in the deli at the Vons market just down the street: plump, juicy, crispy tenders as good as any you can find at most restaurants.

Anonymous said...

I love Burger King chicken tenders...20 years ago...and then they got smaller and smaller and stringier...and then they came in some strange "kid-friendly" shapes...and then they were gone, replaced by chicken fries...and now they've got this crap.

I don't understand how BK stays afloat. It's all horrible.

JustinM said...

Although I think their burgers are terrible, I can see how some people would like them. But these chicken products like the chicken fries or these "tenders"... I honestly can't understand how a single person would like them.

I never wrote about this, but I actually hated them so much that I tried them again the next day at a different BK, because I couldn't believe they were really all that bad. Sure enough, they were the same horrible product.