Monday, October 31, 2011

An Assortment of Weekend Eats

A BV with some cheese in the background. Always an enjoyable meal.

When I wrote about McDonald's hot mustard sauce three weeks ago, and anonymous poster revealed that he or she likes a combination of hot mustard and sweet & sour sauce. So I gave it a try. It was actually very good.

When I suggested making pizza for dinner, Elizabeth said that we had some zucchini we should eat. So I sliced it up and sauteed it for a little bit. And placed it on a pizza with some sweet red peppers, Toscano black pepper cheese, garlic/basil sauce and a drizzling of olive oil. I always forget how tasty vegetarian pizzas can be. 

I tried my first "organic" lollipop - the very very cherry flavor. (Not just very cherry.) I did not think much of it and threw most of it out.

I'd been craving a barbecue chicken pizza for two or three days, so when I saw this pizza on sale for $2.99 at Vons, I decided to give it a shot.

The box the product came in was two inches thick, so I was a little surprised to see the pizza was so thin. Whatever. It cooked in the oven in ten minutes. It wasn't very good, even by frozen pizza standards. The crust was doughy and didn't change throughout the cooking process, even as the toppings started to burn. And the sauce was just a sugary paste. Even at $2.99 - and I believe the regular price is $1.50 higher - I will never get one of these again.

The chicken empanadas, on the other hand, are always a good snack. As usual, I baked them in the oven for less than fifteen minutes. I mixed up a sauce of sour cream and that spicy garlic sauce that Tracie bought me a couple of weeks ago.

I volunteered at a charity event in Central Park yesterday for several hours, and Pie 'n Burger was there selling burgers and fries.

I did not eat all these burgers, but I felt like I could have.

Just this one. Delicious, as always. I even took a twenty-minute break to run one of them home to Elizabeth, who loved it as well.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm the frozen pizza looked promising

JustinM said...

I thought so too but it was not good. The BBQ Chicken pizza from Trader Joe's is only one dollar more, almost twice the size of this, and MUCH better. (And it will appear on this blog soon.)

mindful mule said...

I, too, know how it feels to be fooled by the size of the pizza box.

Emily said...

That courgette pizza, on the other hand, looks pretty amazing.

JustinM said...

I had to Google courgette. You learn something new every day.

mw said...

OMG!!!! That was me. The hot must/sweet & sour combo girl. Glad you liked it. So cool that I got mentioned on your blog even in an anon sort of way. So cool.

JustinM said...

I'm glad that makes you happy. Thanks for the tip.

Bekah said...

That burger looks TDF.

JustinM said...

Pie 'n Burger is delicious. No gimmicks: quality beef, crisp lettuce, pickles and a little too much Thousand Island, all on a soft bun.

No short ribs in the burger, no ciabatta bun or fancy French cheese. Just old school deliciousness.