Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekend Eats Part 4/5: Breakfast

I had been at Taylor's Prime Meats to pick up the flat iron steaks, so I also got sausage and bacon for Sunday morning breakfast. Mr. Taylor himself helped me, and when I mentioned wanting the breakfast sausage, he smiled and said "This is so good."

"Do you grind this yourself?" I asked.

"Oh yes," he said. "If we were bigger we could put Farmer John out of business."

"How's so?" I inquired.

"It just kills me what they are able to get away with," he explained. "The amount of fat chunks in their breakfast sausage is terrible."

I bought just over two pounds of bulk sausage. In the morning I shaped them into patties and grilled them. The aroma was simply amazing.  I placed six of the seven patties on a plate for everyone to enjoy. For the seventh piece I had something else planned.

I placed it on an English muffin with a mustard/green onion/black pepper barbecue sauce. It was fantastic. The sausage was juicy and flavorful, and indeed there were no fat chunks in it. Not once did I have to pick a tough bit of fat from between my teeth. Mr. Taylor was correct, this sausage blows Farmer John's breakfast sausage out of the water.

4 comments:

Nosh Gnostic said...

Grilled breakfast sausage "burgers". Aah, no matter what low-blows life deals, there is always hope.

JustinM said...

When I was a kid, I ate at a Bob Evans restaurant somewhere in the midwest and had a sausage patty on a bun. It was life-changing, or at least as life-changing as breakfast can be for a 10 year old.

SuperLarge said...

I see what you did there.

Liz said...

I didn't have any sausage, but the bacon was delicious.