Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rubio's Sesame Soy Fish Taco

After I wrote about Rubio's new shrimp tacos on Monday, a reader sent me an email saying that I should give their (relatively new) fish tacos a try. About the only thing I like more than pleasing my readers is eating fried seafood tacos.

There are two varieties: the "Sesame Soy" and the "Avocado Corn." The latter of those two comes with, not surprisingly, an avocado corn salsa. So I decided to get the first. (Which comes with avocado slices, but I asked to hold them.) It took several minutes for the tacos to be ready. This never bothers me - at least it makes it more likely that the tacos are being fried to order. (It's always suspicious when you order a fish taco and it's ready in 30 seconds and not too hot.)

This taco was definitely hot, a decent-sized piece of fish with a crispy batter, topped with a sesame soy sauce and a creamy wasabi sauce, along with some mixed greens.

If I really liked that crispy shrimp taco the other day, I loved this taco.

The batter was crunchy and the fish inside was juicy and flaky; the sweet soy sauce played nicely off the slightly spicy wasabi. I felt like I could have eaten a half dozen of these.

Part of me doesn't even want to go back and try another one; I feel like there is no way they all can be this good. On the other hand, if I can get another one and it's even close to being this good, it will be worth it.

8 comments:

Fritos and Foie Gras said...

This looks so fantastic...we are so lame in nyc

JustinM said...

Because you don't have chain fish tacos? Silly Fritos.

Banana Wonder said...

You're killing me with the fish tacos! Rubios is my favorite place to get them. And it's my Justin's first place to hit up when we're in SoCal. Will have to try this when I'm down in March.

Nosh Gnostic said...

If this comes in at $2.50 or less I'll be all over it.
It bugs me how the price of a fish taco is normally at least twice the price of a beef or pork taco.

JustinM said...

Banana: I like Rubio's, but have you guys ever been to Tacos Baja Ensenada?

Nosh: $3.29.

Mike N. said...

Looks quite a bit better than Long John Silver's fish taco! But then, it's not really hard to do better than anything on the LJS menu (particularly if you check the nutrition info...)

JustinM said...

I've never been to a LJS. There are a few scattered around the Southland, but none close to me and nothing has ever really looked good enough to make me venture to one, especially since every one within 40 miles is mutibranded with a KFC.

Anonymous said...

These tacos are no longer on the menu... I agree they were excellent.