Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mamma's Brick Oven Pizza & Pasta (East Pasadena)

I've lived pretty close to the Mamma's in South Pasadena for a few years now, and it's my favorite (non-homemade) pizza joint around. For a long time I'd heard that Mamma's would be opening another outlet in East Pasadena, in a location that used to be a Burger King. After months (many months - I'd first heard rumor that September was their projected opening date) of driving by and seeing that they were almost open, a friend of mine informed me that she had recently tried it. True, she wasn't pleased with the temperature of the pizza, but she'd had it delivered, which is something I stopped doing long ago unless I have no other choice.

The other day I was over at my parents' house and wanted to introduce them to Mamma's. I ordered a pizza, was told it would be ready in 20 minutes, and drove down to pick it up.

I can't vouch for the pasta, as I've never tried it. Actually, the only three items I have tried are the pizza, toasted ravioli, and garlic knots.

I ordered an extra-large Margherita, the pizza I have always enjoyed the most from Mamma's over the years. And this was outstanding. Not quite as good as the original location, but the fresh basil and zesty pizza sauce make this pizza better than just about anything else around. My parents both loved it as well.

They also had several slices on display of the "Everything Pizza" - salami, pepperoni, sausage, onions, peppers and mushrooms - so I got two of them, just so my parents could experience that as well. It was fine, but not nearly as good as the Margherita.

I also ordered a dozen of the garlic knots. My mom and I both really liked them; my dad thought they were "too doughy." (I have no idea what that means.)

As I mentioned, this wasn't quite as good as the South Pasadena location, but that one has been open (and busy) for many years. There is no reason to think that in time this location won't improve and be just as good as the original. It's a welcome addition to a part of town where the pizza options are Pizza Hut and Chuck E. Cheese

1 comment:

Fritos and Foie Gras said...

The garlic knots look great! Have you ever made them at home with premade biscuit dough or something? That could be really tasty.