Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Village Vault

My mom was going to a nursery in Glendora and asked if I wanted to go; it happened that I needed flowers for something, so I did. We stopped in downtown Glendora to get a bite to eat. I'd never been to (or heard of) the Village Vault but it looked clean and welcoming. I wondered if perhaps it used to be a bank; I didn't ask but with the "food you can bank on" slogan and the names of all the menu items, it seems safe to guess yes.

There was carpet and a salad bar and though the place was packed I was the youngest person in there (who wasn't an employee). If it looks like the kind of place that has dinner specials starting at 4 PM, that's because it is.

My mom had "The Manager": roast beef on grilled sourdough with avocado and Swiss.

For me it was "The Broker" - turkey with bacon and Swiss on grilled sourdough with 1000 Island. The sandwiches were very good. I imagine the place keeps busy enough that everything for the sandwiches is fresh. (Though I did see a couple of breakfast plates go by to the table next to us, and it did not look very good, just basic greasy spoon stuff.) The turkey was great, the bacon crispy and the bread nicely toasted. I didn't like the fries but I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a diner's fries.

Service was great - my soda was refilled three times - and lunch for the two of us pre-tip was 22 bucks. Even if I didn't live on the other side of the country I doubt I'd return, but if you're looking for a friendly diner in the area, I can recommend this place.

No comments: