Friday, May 11, 2012

My Little Pizzeria

Two years ago, when visiting New York for Elizabeth's sister's wedding, I wrote of My Little Pizzeria and how much I enjoyed it. (Back when Elizabeth lived in this neighborhood, before she moved to California, it was her favorite pizza in the area.) When I learned that we would be moving just a few blocks away, I knew we would be visiting the place a lot. And indeed in one month I have been there more than half a dozen times, including the first night we were in town.
 
In the back of the place is a wonderful patio, with shaded tables and a gelato window for when the weather heats up. Elizabeth's dad, Rick, has been in town taking care of his uncle, who lives four blocks from us, so we've been going out for pizza with Rick once a week. We always try to sit on the patio.

Rick loves getting the pie with extra cheese. I've never been an extra cheese kind of guy - extra sauce, sure, but never extra cheese - but it seems to make him really happy to get the pizza this way, so I'm not going to protest.

Sometimes it takes more than one person to load a slice onto a plate, the cheese sliding around like a pat of butter in a frying pan.

Messy but good.

The garlic knots aren't the best I've ever had, but they are the most aggressively garlic-spiked. When we sit on the patio and they bring the food to us, we can smell the knots coming from 30 feet away.


Sometimes Elizabeth and I stop by just the two of us and we each get a couple of slices. When that's the case, I get my favorite of My Little Pizzeria's slices: the fresh mozzarella, with a thin crust and fresh tomato sauce. 

Elizabeth gets the regular cheese. Nothing wrong with that. 
 
Once I even stopped by alone and had a quick slice of my fresh mozzarella. 

When it's dark or raining we have to sit inside. It's not nearly as comfortable as the patio, but what can you do?

On my last occasion eating this pizza, I realized why I'm not a big fan of extra cheese: the cheese flavor just dominates too much. If I'm eating a Pizza Hut pizza, okay, sure, who cares what the crust tastes like? But this crust is good. When we get the pie this way, all I can taste is cheese. So I had an idea...

Bring my own hot sauce with me. Not only do I love hot sauce, but the additional flavor mutes the cheese slightly and helps me notice the crust more.

And now that I've found a place that sells Trappey's, I'm quite content.

There are plenty of other pizza places in the neighborhood and I've been to several of them, but I keep coming back to My Little Pizzeria over and over. With the large pie, garlic knots and three drinks it comes out to seven bucks per person. We all leave stuffed and we all love the food. You can't beat that.

14 comments:

SuperLarge said...

I've enjoyed the road trip stories, but I'm really happy now that you're now writing about your new 'hood!

Patrick said...

A fitting way to start your new chapter of posts. That extra cheese pizza looks like Ninja Turtles cartoon pizza. Gloopy

Anonymous said...

I can't believe they so blatantly ripped off Dominos's Parmesan bread bites like that!!! (sarcasm)

JustinM said...

Not nearly as egregious as all the places that have ripped off Pizza Hut's "Big New Yorker."

(There actually is a Pizza Hut four blocks from me, one of those combo Pizza Hut/KFC/Nathan's Famous outlets. Please don't hold your breath waiting for a write up.)

Anonymous said...

could you get half the pizza extra cheese that way everyones happy:)

JustinM said...

The way the cheese slides around I don't know if that would work.

Anonymous said...

pp-

have u tried any meats on these pizzas?

and did you see jack in the box has chicken nuggets now? i just had some. theyre good. theyre like the happy medium b/w wendys nuggets and mcd's chicken mcnuggets. hopefully u have a JITB in the area.

JustinM said...

No, I have not. I don't usually get meat on pizza unless I've cooked the meat. Give me garlic and basil and I'm happy.

I read about the JitB nuggets. Unfortunately, according to their website, the nearest one is 605 miles from me.

Banana Wonder said...

This pizza looks pretty darn amazing. I am with you on the extra sauce kind of pizza, but the extra cheese looks like a lot of fun. Aggressively spiked garlic knots sounds like a deal maker, and I am wondering what are your favorites if these didn't cut it?

JustinM said...

I love the level of garlic - I just wish they were a little softer, a little doughier.

Rika said...

It's nice to see you found a great pizza place near ya! Hav you found a good chinese place near you though?

JustinM said...

No. I've eaten at several hole-the-wall takeout joints and none have been very good. One meal was decent, but I'm still looking for something like Golden China.

Melissa Good Taste said...

CHEESALIOUS!

Liz said...

Their pizza is so delicious. I will continue to be loyal. There is no need to stray.