Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Road Trip Part 12: Daisy Duke's Express

Our last night in New Orleans. We had been out for a long time in the French Quarter enjoying adult beverages. We were getting up early in the morning to drive to Florida. I suggested we get some dinner. Daisy Duke's Express is located in the Central Business District, a few blocks from the French Quarter. (Apparently there is a Daisy Duke's in the Quarter that is known for its Bloody Mary's; I've never been.) It was close to our hotel and we were hungry so we decided to pop in.

We sat in the open window, looking out on Carondelet.

A menu not too different from many of the other places at which we ate, but I was not yet tired of fried seafood.

Or beer. I think this was an Abita Amber, but I don't remember.

A friend of mine once told me that he won't eat at a restaurant in New Orleans that only offers Tabasco on the table and not Crystal. I think he might have been pulling my chain a little, but I still thought of him here.

I ordered the catfish po' boy with onion rings on the side. The sandwich came on perfectly soft, cornmeal-dusted bread. The fish was crispy on the outside, tender and flaky inside. Everything I want in a po' boy. While this doesn't compete with Domilise's or Mother's as my favorite po' boy I have had in town, I still loved it and it blew away the fried seafood I had at Margartitaville or Le Bayou.

I tried the sandwich with the provided tartar sauce, but it didn't make it any better. I love tartar sauce, but the sandwich just didn't need any condiments beyond a couple of drops of hot sauce. 

I didn't even mind the tomato.
Elizabeth had the fried shrimp platter with fries. I tried a couple of her shrimp. They were good, but I did not like them nearly as much as my catfish.

I wish we had more time in New Orleans, but we've already started talking about our next trip back.

6 comments:

Nosh Gnostic said...

I agree with your friend re: boycotting the Tabasco only places. It's like a Mexican restaurant that offers only Cholula.
I mean come on, use a little imagination. Not bad products, but stand up and be somebody...

Seeing your catfish poor boy makes me want to ride to Burbank and visit Michael's - if only he wasn't such a d!ck.

Ooh, so negative! I need a beer myself!

JustinM said...

Well, I guess I have TWO friends who are hot sauce snobs! I have to admit though, I admire your passion.

Pasadena Fish Market for catfish my friend. Half the price of Michael's and just as good.

Anonymous said...

those onion rings look muy bien

Jessica said...

"I didn't even mind the tomato". I can't recall the last time I've seen those words here!

JustinM said...

Well, uh... consider the second sentence.

Banana Wonder said...

Glad you finally got a decent sandwich. Funny about the Crystal. I always see it but have never attempted... had no idea how popular it was there.