Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Cava (Portland)

While trying to decide where to go for dinner, my friends suggested Cava. I had never heard of it, but since I was a guest in their house and I respect their food opinions, I agreed. With their Kiwi accents, though, I thought they said "Carver," so I was expecting a place with meat and not much else (not that that's a bad thing.)

When we pulled up to the place I couldn't believe it. It looked like a laundromat or a dive bar. The picture above was taken on the way out when you could kind of see inside the windows, but on the way in you could not see anything. Unbelievably, we walked into a gorgeous, dark wooden bar area, then around a corner and out into a beautiful courtyard. Never in a million years would I have expected this.

We started with some pints of a local beer, Hopworks ESB, and a cheese plate. Good stuff. I ordered a hamburger with blue cheese and caramelized onions. It was cooked perfectly and served with some of the best fries I have had.
-
I am glad I gave up eating barbecue for one meal, because I may have found my new favorite Portland restaurant. I certainly prefer it to any place I have eaten downtown.

No comments: