Friday, October 16, 2009

Lucky Boy

Like Rick's, Conrad's, Tops and In-n-Out, Lucky Boy has been a late-night option since I was in high school. Unlike the other places, however, I have never liked Lucky Boy. My high school buddies often wanted to hit up Lucky Boy for dinner. I went along some of the time, but usually I suggested Rick's and we just went there. Many of my friends were (and probably still are) passionate about Lucky Boy's chili cheese fries. 

I hadn't had Lucky Boy in a long time and I knew I should give it another shot. But every time I thought about it, I decided to go somewhere else. I absolutely love Rick's, so when I'm craving that type of food, I go there. Not long ago, however, I was walking back to my friends' house after midnight and I realized how hungry I was. So I decided to give it one more shot.

The place was very busy; obviously many other people had the same idea I did. The line moved very quickly though, and after only a couple minutes I placed my order: a corn dog, fries, and a chili burger. I waited around, observing the people. I'd had several beers, too many to drive, but I wasn't hammered. Some of the people here most definitely were. Some were having conversations with each other that bordered on screaming matches. Others were concentrating on not falling asleep. It only took about five minutes to get my food, which was impressive considering how busy they were.

I walked over to my friends' house and started eating. The corn dog was good. The only way to screw up a previously frozen corn dog is not to cook it long enough. This one was fine. The fries were actually better than I have ever had there. I have referred to them in the past as limp and undercooked, because that's all I have ever been served. But these were fresh out of the fryer. 

The burger was absolutely terrible; the worst burger I have had in as long as I can remember. The bun looked like it had been stomped on a couple times, the patty was overcooked and thinner than a McDonald's burger, and the chili was disgusting. There was no flavor to it at all, except perhaps the vague taste of something burnt. It's been a long time since I've had their chili cheese fries, and I remembered hating them. Now I remember why. 

I understand people love Lucky Boy as a breakfast place, and I've never been there for breakfast. Maybe it's much better. But I am not a fan of the place at all.

4 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

I woodn't call you a lucky boy for having eaten here.

JustinM said...

Nope, not one bit. At least it was cheap, though.

The Thirsty Pig said...

I'm going to have to try Rick's after your review of Lucky Boy's.

JustinM said...

Rick's is great. Decent fries, good burgers, and probably my favorite tacos in Pasadena.