Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shredded Chicken Sandwiches

I considered for a moment putting this on the barbecue blog, since I haven't had barbecue in at least two weeks. But it's not really barbecue. Of course, it probably is closer to barbecue than a lot of the places I have been - Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings spring to mind - but considering it was a meal I made myself, I couldn't bring myself to call it barbecue.

Trader Joe's has containers of both shredded chicken and pork in their refrigerated sections. Both come pre-cooked in a sauce that, while not great, is better than most other pre-made meals like this. The chicken (all white meat) is my favorite of the two. TJ's also has bags of shredded cabbage that are a good size for one or two people.

I heated the chicken in a small pan on the stove. It is made to be heated in the microwave, but I much prefer the stove. Not only do I try not to use a microwave whenever possible, but it makes it much easier to add a few slugs of hot sauce or pepper to the chicken, both of which it needed.

I mixed the cabbage in a bowl with rice wine vinegar, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and pepper. After putting the chicken in a hot dog bun I put some mustard on top, a few more drops of hot sauce, and piled the slaw right on top. It was messy. It was spicy. It was perfect.

No comments: