Wednesday, November 5, 2008

South Pasadena Pizza, Volume 3: Homemade


I wanted to cook something at home last night so I could watch the election returns. (This was my 4th Presidential election and the 4 candidates for whom I have voted have received a diminishing number of total votes... at this rate, by the 2048 election, the person for whom I vote will receive approximately six votes.) I decided homemade pizza would be good. I no longer have my oven pizza stone, and I've never had luck with fresh dough in the oven without it, so I bought a pre-made thin pizza crust from the store.

There was plenty of leftover tomato and basil pasta sauce from the chicken parmesan my friend made last week, although it's a bit thick and sweet, so I put some in the blender with a couple cloves of garlic and some oregano. I grilled a couple ears of corn and caramelized some sweet onions.

I used three kinds of cheese (all from Trader Joe's): Gouda, English cheddar with caramelized onions, and a dusting of parmesan on top. After I cooked the pizza (about 15 minutes in the oven) I added some chopped basil and cilantro. The pizza was good, although the sauce still was much too sweet, particularly considering the sweetness of the corn and sweet onions. I should have added more garlic to the sauce in the blender. However, I ate a leftover slice for breakfast this morning, and I doused it with a generous helping of Tapatio, and it was much better.

No comments: