Saturday, January 28, 2012

Building My Latest Burger

Elizabeth was going out for one of her after-work events - drinks at Red O, some art gallery opening - so I was left to fend for myself. I went for the three Bs: burger, beer, basketball. I cooked a ground beef patty on the grill pan, melting white cheddar on top and adding some onions that I had caramelized in the afternoon.

And then for a contrast of onion textures, I added some garlic-pepper crispy onion strips. The piquant, salty taste of those played nicely off the buttery sweetness of the caramelized onions.

And because one cannot have too many onions, particularly when dining solo, I added a couple of onion rings to the collection.

Years ago I had a burger at Firefly in South Pasadena, one of their Thursday night "Burgers, Beer & Blues" evenings, and it came with A.1. aioli. I'm not sure I would have come up with that on my own, but it's delicious, and every once in a while I make it for a burger. Like this one.

You didn't think we were done, did you? I added cole slaw as well.

Now this... this is a burger for me. 

On a soft potato roll. 

 The burger rocked. The beer was cold. The Lakers didn't lose. (True, they weren't playing, but still...)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

brb googling piquant

JustinM said...

I had to Google "brb." Eleven letters need to be shortened to three these days? I give up.

Anonymous said...

Awesome burger! Trader Joes post soon?

JustinM said...

A massive one.

heather. said...

excellent. I love onions. :D

Jessica said...

That looks awesome! What the hell does "brb" stand for?

Adam said...

What do you buy for ground beef? Just a standad 80/20 mix or do you grind your own?

I spotted some 80/20 for $1.82 at Target today. I know I shouldn't settle for preground mixes, but damn, at that price I had to buy 5 pounds.

Your buns look nice.

Nosh Gnostic said...

brb = be right back.

JustinM said...

Adam: It all depends. I usually go to a local butcher shop I love and get quality ground beef. I don't know what the blend is and I've never bothered to ask. At a supermarket I will go for 85/15 if it's available, not usually any leaner.