Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hot Dogs

During Game 7 of the Red Sox-Rays series, I wanted something very simple for dinner. I really didn't even want to eat; I was extremely nervous that yet another team was going to roll over for the Red Sox, like the Angels did this year, the Indians did last year, and the Yankees did back in '04. But I figured if I at least made something fun for dinner it would distract me for a few minutes.
-
I was watching the game with a friend of mine from New York who is partial to Nathan's hot dogs. I also like them, although my favorite are Farmer John, of course, since that's what I grew up eating. (During Dodgers games when Vin Scully would do the commercials and say that Farmer John hot dogs are "fresh dressed locally," my dad would always be sure to point out to me that just means they slaughter the pigs in California. Eventually I will make him reimburse me for my therapy bills.) I've never been to the original Nathan's in Coney Island; I only ate at the Nathan's at the "Vince Lombardi Service Area" on the New Jersey turnpike, which is a little like saying I love Australian cuisine because the "Aussie Cheese Fries" are so good at Outback Steakhouse. But, whatever, I bought a package of Nathan's hot dogs.
-
My friend went with some cole slaw and chopped pickles on her hot dog, but mine, pictured above, are a little more loaded. To one I added a slice of American cheese, chili (a can of Albertson's chili that I bought because it was on sale for 99 cents; perhaps the worst chili I have ever tasted, by the way,) chopped pickles, and mustard.
-
On the other dog I added A.1. Thick & Hearty steak sauce, cole slaw, and cheddar jalapeno Fritos. The second dog was much better, although I'm not sure if that's just because the chili was so bad. Neither of them could compete with the best hot dog I ever made, however, which was topped with A.1., Trader Joe's fried onion pieces, and Zankou garlic sauce.

No comments: