Monday, June 20, 2011

Weekend Eats Part 2/5: The Farmers Market Haul

When I was out at lunch with an old family friend the other day, she ordered a salad and explained that where she now lives, the Faroe Islands, it is almost impossible for her to get fresh produce. She reminisced about living in California and buying broccoli at the farmers market that she could let sit in her fridge for several days before she ate it, without noticing any decrease in quality.

"Now," she said, "when I get my hands on broccoli, I have to eat it that day or I can't use it."

That lit a fire under me. It's almost summer - summer and fall are when I go to the farmers markets much more than winter and spring - and I decided I should not take for granted all the things available to us. I never know when I might end up living in the Faroe Islands. Well, you know what I mean.

Saturday morning, Elizabeth and I went to my favorite of the farmers markets in the area: the market at Victory Park. (I could make the argument that overall I enjoy South Pasadena's market just as much, but that's more about the overall experience. The selection of produce at the Victory Park market is much better.) It was packed, not surprisingly, but we came out with quite a few items, and took them over to my parents' house a couple of miles away.

We bought: an artichoke plant, strawberries, sweet corn, cilantro, green onions, dill, cookies, guacamole, and English peas.

I'm not a big strawberry fan but these smelled amazing. A box of three baskets was only $6.50.

I hate avocado. There is not a food I detest more. But I realize I am in the minority. A 16 oz container of Holy Guacamole was $13, which I thought was pricey, but Elizabeth swears it is the best guacamole she has ever had. And I know my parents love it as well, so I guess it was a good investment.

Oatmeal raisin cookies from the The Sconeage Bakery are one of my favorite things in life.

I know some people don't like dill or cilantro but they are two of my favorite herbs.

The artichoke plant was actually for my mom, who was giving it as a gift.

Is there anything better than fresh sweet corn? No, I don't believe there is.

And finally the English peas. They were perhaps better than any I have ever had before. I bought a five pound sack of them, and it was almost gone by the end of the day.

4 comments:

Nosh Gnostic said...

The English pea shot is of centerfold quality. And although I don't really like cookies or scones, I would eat one of those cookies because I love the "Sconeage" name.

Anonymous said...

what?!?! so what did u do with all the fresh veggies, PP? did u make a big ass salad at your parents' house or what??

JustinM said...

Well, the peas we all ate within 24 hours. They were like candy. The cilantro is going on a pizza I'm making tonight. The corn was eaten by my parents. We used the green onion for various things - in the honey mustard, on the potstickers, and my brother grilled and ate some.

mindful mule said...

Dill and Cilantro are among my favorite herbs as well. I’ve also been testing out Mint and Sage and just about whatever else the farmer brings. Seems like a relatively inexpensive and great way to add variety of taste and nutrients to meals.

Happy Summer Solstice!