Thursday, June 21, 2012

A (Baker's) Dozen Snacks

 1) THESE EXTRA-CHEESE PIZZAS ARE GETTING OUT OF HAND
Still delicious, though.

2) A SANDWICH 
Peppered turkey, mustard salami, red cabbage slaw, Swiss cheese and wine mustard, all on an egg bun. 

3) LEFTOVER NACHOS
I had gone for a long walk and I was famished. I had leftover ground beef from tacos the night before, so I heated it up and made nachos with Irish cheddar, Trader Joe's tomato-less corn salsa, sour cream, and Taco Bell salsa verde.

4) SUNDAY NIGHT PIZZA TRADITION
We still, more often than not, eat Trader Joe's frozen pizzas on Sunday evening, our usual two: the Parlanno and the Tarte d'alsace.

5) KICKED UP LATKES
I like a little more flavor than just sour cream with potato pancakes, so I added a healthy dose of spicy, Lousiana-style hot sauce to the mix.

6) GUY FIERI HABANERO MUSTARD TEMPURA CHICKEN 
A few months back I wrote about how much I begrudgingly liked the Guy Fieri Carolina #6 barbecue sauce. So when I saw this new wing sauce a few weeks ago - habanero mustard - I had to try it. I cooked some of the Trader Joe's tempura chicken and mixed the included packet of much-too-sweet sauce with this habanero mustard and added green onions.

7) EGG ROLL CONVERTS
I told Elizabeth's parents how much I liked the egg rolls at Fortune House so one evening we got a bunch of them for dinner. They loved them, too.

8) IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THAN A HOMEMADE PIZZA WITH ROASTED GARLIC AND FRESH BASIL?
Only when you drizzle a little Trappey's on it.

 9) A BREAKFAST SANDWICH
Ham, cheese, scrambled eggs on a bagel. 

10) HOMEMADE SPAGHETTI AND MEATBALLS
I haven't been offering commentary but I can't help it here: Elizabeth's dad made the best homemade meatballs and meat sauce that I have ever had. 

11) HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS BREAKFAST
Yep, this really happened. 

12) A STALE TURKEY SANDWICH IN THE BACK OF A UHAUL ON A HOT SATURDAY IN BROOKLYN
Sounds like a Tom Waits song, right? It was my lunch the other day. 

13) FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICHES
With red cabbage slaw and roasted garlic aioli.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you think of the Guy Fieri Habanero sauce?

JustinM said...

It's got a sweetness (from carrots and onions) that I like, but there just isn't much (well, any really) heat to it. Certainly no habanero heat. When this runs out I won't be getting another. It's not nearly as good as the Carolina #6 sauce.

Anonymous said...

guy fieri is always "rollin out!"

pp is that tj's corn salsa sweet?

JustinM said...

No, it's actually got a nice little zip to it. Nothing that's going the set your mouth on fire, but hotter than the Guy Fieri stuff.

Liz said...

My dad's meatballs are legendary. These was particularly good.

Owner.AsTheWorldChanges said...

The HolidayInn breakfast was my favorite :D