Friday, July 1, 2011

4th of July Weekend Eats II

I'm going to do something a little different over the holiday weekend: instead of waiting until Tuesday and doing a recap of the entire weekend, I'm going to update the blog several times with the latest eats. I hope you all have a fun and safe weekend.

For the first weekday lunch in a long time that Elizabeth and I have been able to enjoy together, we decided to head to our old favorite: Green Street Tavern. It was in the mid-to-high 90s and we took a table on the sidewalk, enjoy the warm weather in the shade.

It's very rare that I drink beer with lunch these days, but what the hell, it's Friday. We both had a cold pint of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. It's not my favorite beer they make, but it's a good example of the style, and besides, Sierra Nevada doesn't make a bad beer.

Elizabeth ordered a special - the salmon burger. It was salmon ground in-house and served on a bun with lettuce and tomato and a side of sriracha. Elizabeth loved it and she gave me a bite; I loved it, too. The salmon was so fresh, slightly charred from the grill, and full of flavor. It was so good that even though I actually got a small piece of tomato in my bite, I did not spit it out because I did not want to waste the food. That has happened to me perhaps two other times in my whole life.

I selected the wild boar meatloaf sandwich. I have wanted to eat this since we had dinner at Green Street Tavern in May for Elizabeth's birthday and I had the wild boar meatloaf.  This sandwich is a slightly-smaller slice of that meatloaf, served on a great bun, wrapped in boar bacon with spinach, spicy honey mustard, pickled relish and provolone cheese.

This is the best sandwich I have had in months, possibly all year. The flavor of the meatloaf was complemented beautifully by the saltiness of the boar bacon, spiciness of the mustard, and subtle, nutty flavor of the cheese.

As always, this was a great lunch on the sidewalk of Green Street Tavern.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is what I'm talking about! From the 99cent sandwich in the last post to this! Fantastic!

Nosh Gnostic said...

I MUST try this!!!

Banana Wonder said...

Wild boar meatloaf sandwich sounds AMAZING! It's about time you get a good tasty sammie. Maybe even better with a beer for lunch too :-) I have been to Green Street once - had the huitlachoche tamales. Delish!

Irina Netchaev said...

I am so bummed that I missed you Justin. Who would have known that the couple sitting on the other side of the window would be you and Elizabeth!

Loved my lunch at the Tavern too. I had the Pulled Pork Sandwich. YUM! Perfect for sharing!